The 13.3″ MacBook Pro Notebook Computer with Retina Display from Apple is a powerful notebook computer with an innovative, ultrathin, ultraportable aluminum unibody design. It is loaded with advanced power management features and an integrated lithium polymer battery, which work together to provide up to 9 hours of wireless web browsing.
The widescreen, LED-backlit IPS screen has a glossy finish and a native resolution of 2560 x 1600. With 227 pixels per inch, this MacBook Pro has a pixel count of over 5 million. You’ll be able to output to 2 external displays at up to 2560 x 1600 via Thunderbolt 2 (Mini DisplayPort). Any Mini DisplayPort-compatible display will plug in without the need for an adapter. This MacBook Pro also adds an HDMI support so HDMI-compliant devices, particularly HDTVs, are now natively supported as well. Graphics are handled by integrated Intel Iris Graphics.
The system is powered by a dual-core 4th generation Haswell 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5 processor. The 4th-gen Haswell processor uses low voltage for improved battery life without sacrificing performance. The MacBook Pro with Retina Display also has 4GB of onboard 1600MHz DDR3L RAM, 128GB of PCIe-based flash storage and a SDXC media card slot. You’ll be able to connect to the Internet with fast-speed 802.11ac Wi-Fi. The MacBook Pro also supports a/b/g/n Wi-Fi networks as well. The MacBook Pro also features built-in Bluetooth 4.0, which allows you to connect wireless headphones, keyboard, mice and other compatible peripherals without a hassle.
This MacBook Pro has dual Thunderbolt 2 ports, a high-speed interface that can move data at an amazing 20Gbps, which is four times that of the USB 3.0 standard. Speaking of USB 3.0, Apple still supports USB 3.0. This MacBook Pro now features two USB 3.0 ports so you no longer have to buy an adapter, but can use USB 3.0-compliant devices natively as well. There is also a MagSafe 2 power port, which uses a magnetic connector that safely disengages from the computer when accidentally pulled. Please note that MagSafe 2 is not compatible with MagSafe adapters.
The computer features a comfortable backlit chiclet-style keyboard, which features space between each key for improved accuracy and comfort when typing. It also sports a glass multi-touch trackpad with a clickable design. Rather than having a separate button for mouse clicks, the entire surface of the pad is clickable. This increases the active surface area and allows you to quickly click without having to maneuver to the bottom of the trackpad.
The trackpad also fully supports multi-touch gestures. You can tap the trackpad with one finger to click, tap with two fingers to right click, scroll through documents using two fingers, pinch to zoom, navigate through Safari or iPhoto with three-finger left and right swipes or use two fingers to rotate a photo or PDF.
The MacBook Pro with Retina Display comes with a complete suite of digital creativity applications. Easy enough for anyone to use, iMovie will help you edit your home movies, iPhoto will organize digital photos, and GarageBand lets you compose original music.
Stay productive with the MacBook Pro with Retina Display. Pages allow you to make creative word documents. Numbers helps you make spreadsheets more visually insightful. Keynote allows you to create a powerful presentation, complete with animated charts, interactive tables with cinematic effects and transitions. Pages, Numbers, and Keynote are available as free downloads via the Mac App Store.
The 64-bit Mac OS X features Time Machine backup, which automatically backs up system data to an external hard drive. It also features intuitive Cover Flow navigation, the powerful Spotlight search tool and Quick Look document preview. You’ll be able to use Boot Camp to run Windows on your Mac, if needed.
A free update to Mac OS X Yosemite is available in the Mac App Store.
- Retina Display
- The 13.3″ display of this MacBook Pro features over 5 million pixels. The pixel density is so high your eyes won’t be able to discern individual pixels. Now with a 2560 x 1600 native resolution, you can see more of your high-resolution images onscreen with pixel-for-pixel accuracy. The Retina display also reduces glare while maintaining incredible color and quality. In fact, it has a 29 percent higher contrast ratio than a standard MacBook Pro display. Deeper black levels and vibrant color, everything is rich and beautiful. IPS technology gives you a wide, 178-degree view of everything on the screen, so you’ll see the difference at practically any angle
- Dual-Core 4th-Gen Haswell Intel Core i5 Performance
- The 4th-gen Haswell Intel Core i5 processor with a state-of-the-art 22-nanometer single-die microarchitecture in this MacBook Pro provides fast dual-core performance. The 4th-gen Haswell Intel Core i5 processor also uses low voltage for improved battery life without sacrificing performance. Intel Hyper-Threading technology allows two threads to run simultaneously on each core. The dual cores can run at a stock speed of 2.4 GHz. The processor can be overclocked up to 2.9 GHz, thanks to Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 technology. With a 3MB L3 cache and 8GB of onboard 1600MHz DDR3L RAM memory, this MacBook Pro can run professional applications like Aperture and Final Cut Pro with ease
- Integrated Intel Iris Graphics
- This MacBook Pro features integrated Intel Iris graphics, which is perfect for both everyday tasks and graphics-intensive creative apps. Scroll through large photo albums with ease. Play games with amazing detail. Even connect an external display or two
- All Flash Storage
- This MacBook Pro feels incredibly fluid and responsive. It’s all thanks to its PCIe-based flash storage, which gives you up to 60 percent faster read and write performance than its predecessor. When you use apps like Final Cut Pro or Aperture, you can perform even the most demanding tasks right from your internal storage. And since this MacBook Pro comes with 256GB of flash storage, you can keep all your important files with you, including large video and photo libraries. Flash doesn’t have any moving parts, which makes it reliable and quiet. And flash storage is extremely energy efficient, which means your MacBook Pro also has the ability to stay in standby mode for up to a month without having to be plugged in
- Long-Lasting Battery
- The built-in lithium polymer battery provides up to 9 hours on a single charge (battery life may vary upon use) and gives you up to 1000 full charge and discharge cycles as well as up to 30 days of instant-on standby time. Which means you can put your MacBook Pro to sleep, and it’ll come back on instantly – after a day, a week, or even a month. With Power Nap, your MacBook Pro can continue to receive email and calendar invitations while it’s asleep. And when it’s connected to a power source, it can download software updates and make backups with Time Machine. So the next time you open your notebook, your MacBook Pro is updated and ready to go
- Thunderbolt 2
- The new MacBook Pro features the next-gen Thunderbolt 2. It delivers twice the throughput, providing up to 20Gbps of bandwidth to each external device. So you’re more than ready for the next generation of high-performance peripherals and displays. You can connect massive amounts of storage and add a PCI expansion chassis. And since each Thunderbolt 2 port allows you to daisy-chain up to six peripherals, you can go all out by plugging in up to 12 external devices via Thunderbolt alone
- HDMI, USB 3.0, SDXC
- The MacBook Pro with Retina Display also has dual USB 3.0 ports, an HDMI port and an SDXC card slot, you can build an entire professional studio with the MacBook Pro as its centerpiece
- 802.11ac Wi-Fi
- With an emphasis on mobile, the MacBook Pro with Retina Display is equipped with 802.11ac Wi‑Fi and Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology. With AirPlay and Apple TV, you can wirelessly play video, show off photos, and enjoy music from your MacBook Pro on your widescreen TV. And when your MacBook Pro connects to an 802.11ac Wi‑Fi base station, such as AirPort Extreme or AirPort Time Capsule, your wireless performance is up to three times faster
- Audio and Visual
- For something so thin and light, the built-in speakers have a surprisingly wide dynamic range, an optimal balance and a crisp, expressive quality. Dual built-in microphones are great for when you want to be heard. If you’re making a FaceTime call, for example, the mics reduce background noise from behind the notebook. And when you use Dictation, they create an adaptive audio beam that intelligently adjusts to detect your voice instead of the noise around you
- Multi-Touch Trackpad and Backlit Keyboard
- In Mac OS X, Multi-Touch is an essential part of how you interact with your Mac. Using realistic, intuitive gestures, you can switch between apps, navigate your content and get the most out of your desktop space. The MacBook Pro features a Multi-Touch trackpad with a large, all-glass button surface. So you can tap, pinch, swipe and click away comfortably. Thin and light, this notebook is designed to go anywhere, including places with less-than-stellar lighting. A built-in sensor detects changes in ambient light and adjusts the keyboard brightness automatically
- iCloud stores your content and lets you access your music, photos, calendars, contacts, documents and more from which ever device you’re on. So you’ll be able to access your photos, reminders, notes, music and videos from your iOS devices right on this MacBook Pro
- Retina-Ready Software
- Apple has updated their native apps to take advantage of the beautiful Retina display on this MacBook Pro. Mac OS X apps such as Safari, Mail, iCal, Address Book and more as well as iPhoto, iMovie, iTunes, Aperture and Final Cut Pro have already been optimized
- Incredibly Powerful
- It may be thin and light, but this MacBook Pro is also incredibly powerful. To achieve all that in a single design required relentless focus and a willingness to make bold decisions. Bulky legacy technologies like the spinning hard drive and optical disc drive were left behind in favor of higher-performance technologies – all-flash storage, for example. It’s much faster and far more reliable than a traditional hard drive. And it takes up 90 percent less space
- A Display of Excellence
- The Retina display is a breakthrough – any way you look at it. Apple pushed the limits of technology to create a pixel density so high, you can see everything you’re doing with perfect clarity and make edits with pinpoint accuracy. Not only is it the highest-resolution display ever on a notebook, it has a more integrated design that achieves a level of fit and finish never before possible. This Retina display doesn’t sit behind a layer of glass, it is the glass. Which means you get all the benefits of a state-of-the-art display – vibrant colors, high contrast, and wide viewing angles – with very little glare. So there’s more to see, and even less to distract you from your work
- Precisely Engineered
- This MacBook Pro features high-efficiency fans. The asymmetrically spaced impeller blades with back and side airflow vents work together to move the maximum amount of air while reducing tonal impact. The custom, built-in stereo speakers provide high-fidelity sound and a wide dynamic range and better bass response. The dual microphones are precisely oriented under the speaker grille and use an adaptive beam-forming algorithm to reduce background noise and optimize performance
- Ultrathin and Ultraportable
- This MacBook Pro is ultrathin and ultraportable, resembling more a MacBook Air than a MacBook Pro. It is 0.75″ thin and weighs less than 4 pounds, this MacBook Pro embodies the performance of a MacBook Pro, but has the body of a MacBook Air
- Electrical and Operating Requirements
- This MacBook Pro supports 100-240V AC with 50/60Hz frequency. It can operate at a temperature from 50 to 95°F (10 to 35°C) and an altitude of 10,000 feet. It can be stored at a temperature from -13 to 113°F (-24 to 45°C) and an altitude of 15,000 feet. It can also stand a relative humidity range of 0 to 90% (noncondensing)
- At 5.1 million pixels, the Retina display is the perfect place to view and edit your high-resolution photos. Dot for dot, more of your image can fit on the screen – which makes editing photos far more precise. And with four times the number of pixels than a standard 13-inch MacBook Pro display, you can see fine details and textures like never before. In fact, the Retina display is so sharp, you can tell which photos are in focus just by looking at the thumbnails. With two ultrafast Thunderbolt ports, two USB 3.0 ports and an SDXC card slot, you can build a photo studio around this MacBook Pro. Or take it with you and import thousands of RAW images on location – up to five times faster than on a standard MacBook Pro. Once your photos are on your computer, editing in Aperture is faster and more responsive than on any notebook we’ve ever built. And high-speed flash storage lets you quickly browse large image libraries from internal storage. So you have instant access to any photo in your library
- Video Editing
- The processor, graphics, and memory inside the MacBook Pro are built around an all-flash architecture – giving you unprecedented mobile video editing capabilities. Super-responsive flash storage delivers up to nine streams of 1080p ProRes (HQ) content for multicam editing in Final Cut Pro X, while the latest quad-core processors decode multiple streams of video, and a powerful GPU renders millions of pixels onto the screen. With flash storage that offers up to four times the performance of a traditional hard drive, you can even edit four streams of uncompressed 8-bit 1080p HD video, right from your internal storage. Having four times the pixels of a traditional display changes how you edit video on a notebook. Especially in Final Cut Pro X. For the first time on a portable computer, you can view your video in pixel-accurate 1080p HD and see your editing workspace onscreen at the same time. And video is so sharp, so clear, and so lifelike, your shots may look even better than you remember
- Design and Layout
- With 2560 by 1600 pixels, the resolution of the Retina display is so high, it rivals the printed page. Combined with reduced glare, higher contrast, and a 178-degree viewing angle, this Retina display is the ideal place to see your work. High-performance graphics and processors let you render images and apply filters with incredible speed. And thanks to flash storage and superfast 1600MHz memory, you can access and edit large-format files much faster than on a traditional notebook
- Science and Engineering
- The latest quad-core processors and 1600MHz memory provide an enormous amount of computational power. And the latest GPU technology and the high-resolution Retina display allow you to visualize your data like never before. From 3D molecular modeling and DNA imaging to architectural renderings and structural analysis, this MacBook Pro will have you working anywhere
Mac OS X
- Hardware and Software
- Since the software on every Mac is created by the same company that makes the Mac, you get a fully integrated system in which everything works together perfectly. OS X works with the processor in your Mac to deliver the best possible performance. The Multi-Touch trackpad on every Mac notebook gives you more than enough space to pinch, swipe, and tap your way around most of the apps on your system. OS X gives you long battery life by dimming the screen in low-light conditions and even regulating processor activity between keystrokes
- Interact with Your Computer in a Whole New Way
- Tap, scroll, pinch, and swipe using Multi-Touch gestures, directly controlling what’s on your screen in a more fluid, natural, and intuitive way. When you scroll down on your trackpad or Magic Mouse, your document scrolls down. When you scroll up, your web page scrolls up. When you swipe left, your photos move left. And there are many more gestures that make all you do on your Mac the best experience you can have on a computer
- Easy to Use
- From the desktop you see when you start up your Mac to the applications you use every day, everything is designed to be simple and intuitive. It works seamlessly with iCloud to keep your music, photos, calendars, and more up to date across all your devices
- Find, Organize and Share Files Fast
- The Finder gives you easy access to all the files on your system. It lets you find, organize and access practically everything on your Mac – including applications, files, folders, discs, and shared computers on your network. You can sort files by kind, application, date modified, date added, or size. But with so many files on your computer, finding a specific one can be a challenge. Not on a Mac. Features like Spotlight and Quick Look make locating the file you’re looking for effortless – even if you don’t know the filename. And with Quick Look, you don’t need to open an application to verify that you’ve found the right file – view a full-screen preview by hitting the space bar. Want to share a file with someone nearby? Just drag and drop to send it to the person wirelessly with AirDrop
- See Everything Running on Your Mac Instantly
- OS X offers system wide support for gorgeous, full-screen apps that use every inch of your Mac display. You can have multiple full-screen apps open at once – along with multiple apps in windows. And it’s easy to switch between full-screen and desktop views. Mission Control gives you a bird’s-eye view of all your windows and full-screen apps, and allows you to instantly navigate among them
- Auto Save
- Auto Save automatically saves your work while you work, without you having to do a thing. Versions creates a new version of a document each time you open it and every hour while you’re working. It saves only the differences between successive versions, so the impact on your disk drive is minimal. Just open Versions to see the current document next to a cascade of previous versions. You can copy and paste between versions or revert to an earlier version. And when you share a document, you share only the most recent copy